Friday, May 4, 2012

Our Fairy "Gnome" Garden!


We're excited to be joining Magic Onions Fairy Garden contest!  Although our garden, big surprise, is called the "Gnome Garden" by my two little boys. My son, Michael, happened to be hanging about when I was looking at some of last years entries and he flipped with excitement to make his own.  His excitement was contagious...although it doesn't take much to get me inspired to do a project like this one!

We've been collecting supplies for a couple of weeks now.  I was on a box making roll with making our raised garden bed and a sandbox so why not make another?  I wood-burned "Welcome" on the side to welcome all our fairy & gnome friends.


Then I added some simplified gnomes on this side along with a smiling rock.  A friend of mine gave us the idea to attach the box to a table we already had that was falling apart.  I secured the table and attached the box.  It fit perfectly! I started a Fairy Garden board on Pinterest with all our favorite contest entries from last year.  So we are slowly working down our list of more things we want to add. 


The tree stump is screwed in to the bottom.  We plan to add a tree house on top.  We're slowly collecting fallen branches on our walks about the neighborhood for that. We really wanted to plant moss but that would be nearly impossible to keep alive in our area of the country.  So we tried to find plants that would be happy in the sun.


 And because my herb pallet hasn't exactly worked out, I focused on herbs.  We chose Rosemary, Thyme, Boxwood Basil, Ground cover Peppermint & succulents.



We loved how the glass stones set off our pathway.  We had the little stones left over from an aquarium we once had. We love to collect flat rocks so we had those in abundance.


The ground cover peppermint is on the left.  We didn't have a big budget for plants.  I may add a couple more pots of peppermint but I'm sure it will spread.  We found the cute terracotta pots in the dollhouse section of our craft store. The clothes line was one of those ideas I spotted from last year's entries.  So cute!  We had to have one. 


We found this decorative wood piece to be a focal point for our stone walkway.


I had one of these pots lying around so we used it as a cave.


We have a frog & turtle pond made from a ceramic bowl at one end of our garden.



Another idea I spotted in other fairy garden entries is the painted bird house with the cut out door.  Michael made the blue one and we glued some dried moss to it, then glued it to a pine branch. I'm going to paint white toadstool spots on my red & brown house. 


We cut this slice of wood & glued it to a smaller piece for a table.  Please excuse the disheveled look to our gnome with the green hat.  This was one of the first gnomes I ever made Michael before I knew about the wonders of wool.  It's still his favorite.  


We had some miniature food already and we made the cakes, apples & strawberries from Sculpey.


I happened to have this silver ball.  It's just something that popped of a shower curtain holder. We glued it to an upside down pot & it makes a perfect garden ball decoration.  My Grandmother has always had one in her yard so it makes me giggle at its tiny size & think of her.

This has been such a fun project.  We are no where near finished.  We want more furniture, the tree house, maybe a rope ladder to the tree house, etc. etc. It's definitely in progress.  I've enjoyed searching for wood & such things to use for it & also the challenge of utilizing things we already have.  It reminds me of the fun I used to have making houses for my dolls & stuffed animals under chairs and outside. 


The best part of it though is doing something really fun with Michael.  We are having a blast making it and the boys play with it for hours and hours on end.  I'll post all about what we add to our gnome garden in the coming weeks and show you some final pictures when we're finished.

Until next time..

25 comments:

  1. So cute! I am inspired to make one too, I am not sure if my little ones will are too young to really enjoy one yet, as of right now the most fun they have in the garden is pulling up the plants after I plant them. I must have replanted one poor brussle sprout plant 5 times yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would wait then or just make one for yourself. We've had toddlers here and they have to be watched quite a bit. I have seen some really cute fairy gardens in small pots that are just for decor. They're so cute! I'm tempted to make one for me or for gifts.

      Delete
  2. Oh so cute! I love it- every last tiny detail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's lovely! i want to make one so much too... i hope i can find the energy to do this now that we have a garden. i would really like to share such a great project with my older boy too. i've been admiring donni's fairy gardens for years. good for you! you did it! and you did it really really well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun. Once you get started you want to do more & more. Definitely touches the child within. I wasn't expecting that.

      Delete
  4. Oh my Becca, you are truly an artist. I love all the little details and thought you put into it! I'm so glad it also gave you time with your sweet boy. Those are by far the best projects, the ones you do together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! It was great to have one on one time with him.

      Delete
  5. It's very fine!

    Many greetings
    Nula

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every bit of it is gorgeous, but I especially love the pieces of rounded glass setting off the beautiful stone pathway. If I were a tiny fairy, I'd want to come live in your garden...
    xo

    p.s. My toddler helped me refurbish our fairy garden from the contest last year... I'll be posting about our garden next week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What inspiration! I, too, had considered going along the journey with The Magic Onions this year but alas, we're nearing new baby's arrival! You have, however, inspired me to begin thinking about making one (smaller probably) as a way to connect with the littles after baby has come......what a sweet way to be together. I love that it's ever evolving and you're free to add whatever elements you chose! Love it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. a project planned for after baby would be wonderful.

      Delete
  8. I think we have a winner!
    What a fun garden, I love all the tiny details! I must show my daughter when she gets home. I hope we have time to start on ours this weekend. We're going to a Waldorf Mayfest Celebration tomorrow so we're really hoping that the rain holds off!
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, your so sweet! Can't wait to see yours! Can't wait to hear about your Mayfest celebration too!

      Delete
  9. I am sure the fairies are so happy in such a fertile, lush looking special place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Becca! Your fairy (gnome) garden is so magical! How amazing, I bet your boys are having such fun imagining the little folk enjoying their new magical space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! They're having a blast with it. And their friends too. We already have one family we're close to wanting to make their own.

      Delete
  11. I love this, and am *almost* inspired to make a fairy garden of my own. Except I'd be doing it myself, as 2 teenage boys have next to zero interest in fairies, or gnomes, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally do one for myself or for gifts on a smaller scale. I've seen cute gardens with just a couple of plants & a little bench & tiny bird house. I'm dying to make one for a friend of mine.

      Delete
  12. Oh my! It's so beautiful and there is such attention to details! I can't wait to make one for my daughter this summer! I decided to make hers around this flowering tree that we have and she now refers to it as "her tree", lol. I guess she's excited too. Can't imagine what else you could possibly add to the gnome garden, but am looking forward to the pictures :)

    And thanks for all the lovely comments on my blog, it always makes me smile when I read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your garden is beautiful!!! We just moved to Ontario from BC but don't get our house until the end of May. We are so going to join this contest!!!! Pretty stiff completion by the looks of your garden but what a fun contest! I think we will all win since we will have so much fun creating and then get to keep our creations...oh how fun! So glad this completion is open until Aug!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is so beautiful. I love all the details you have put into it and hte pride on your son's face. This is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this and it brought back memories of doing the exact same thing with my three little girls. They are almost all grown up now and the gnomes and fairies have disappeared for now- but they'll be back..
    Thank you very much for sharing this with us on Seasonal Celebration Sunday! Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have all the words of appreciation. Thumbs up for this garden!!
    garden gnomes

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my sweet little part of the world! Please come by often and leave a comment! I love to get your feedback and know that my friends and family have visited!