Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Storytelling Saga & "Brother Acorn"


Our story this week is Brother Acorn from A Donsy of Gnomes, my new favorite book!  As I've said before storytelling is not something I'm comfortable with.  It just isn't anything I've ever done before. It feels foreign.  I've always admired those witty wordsmiths that can spin a tale at the drop of a hat. As a child I was very shy and I've gradually grown out of that as an adult. Storytelling or acting is never anything I've been interested in doing.  I love reading, I love to write, I love doing art projects but the whole idea of storytelling has in the past given me a knot in the pit of my stomach. I get stressed about it even with my own kids!


All that said, I find this ridiculous! What a load of baggage and bull! I think how life used to be before television and radio and all the electronic gadgets we have to keep us occupied.  In our "Little House" books storytelling is just a natural part of their lives. Story is apart of us, our ancestral roots, I know it's hidden within me somewhere.  I will become comfortable with storytelling, first with my own kids and then someday I hope with other children too. So here I begin!

This is my story set up for Brother Acorn.  Here are my cheat cards.  First I read a story 2 or 3 times and then I write down the first line and the major points of the story as well as any particular phrases that I want to remember.  I go over the cards after I've written them once.  Most of the time I don't look at my cards at all but they are there for reference if needed.  They are my security blanket!

I begin our story time by ringing a little bell to call them. Then I light a candle on the mantle and sing this verse, "Fairies of the story time, come and share your stories with me.  I am listening with my ears and I'm sitting quietly". 



In the "Brother Acorn" story there is beautiful imagery of the changing morning sky.  It begins with "...,when the sky was purple, all was still."  So in my story I layered our silks to represent the changing sky.  (You have to use a little imagination with some of the colors.)   

"He walked through the quiet and cold forest until the sky was as pink as a rose." I take off the blue/violet silk to reveal the orange silk. 


"... until the sky was the color of a peach."  I take off the orange to reveal the yellow silk. 



"...until the sky was filled with apricot light."  Until finally he sees the sun.

There is also such beautiful repetition in the story.  A sound, "tap, tap, tap", the song of Brother Acorn asking for a nut, "...have you got a nut for me, so that I may plant a tree.", and the squirrel's song of response to Brother Acorn all repeats in such a beautiful way.


Michael and I got a kick out of being able to "plant" the acorns in our ground.  These wool acorns fit right into the holes on our wire chair.

It's fun and confidence building to see how the boys are responding to storytime.  Even when I mess up and make "mistakes"  they don't really care, they're too captivated by the story.


Michael likes to set up stories now and tell his brother and I.  I love how everything is thrown into his stories.  A priority mail box, stuffed animals, silks, homemade toys and his plastic toys all thrown in together.  A weaving of his life.  He's a natural storyteller as most children are.  As we all are I think.


Some of us just need a little reminding.

Until next time...

14 comments:

  1. like you, i am trying to find my story telling side. i am so used to just reading that I get very stuck with actually "Telling" a story. Love the props and silk layering!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you've done the layered silks. I really struggle with story telling, too. I just can never remember the key elements and when I do I feel like I need to go back; 'No, wait, something happened before that!'. Cheat sheets would be so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Storytelling is so rewarding when we look in their eyes! Good for you for taking the leap! Your story set-up looks beautiful! How lucky are our children to witness such wonderful stories being told to them. I have the same silks and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to be a theme for us mama's, telling stories. I ahve been 'going to do it' for aes just lack the courage and the committment to learn them first. Thanks for the little 'push'
    Blessings
    Gae

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this post... thank you for sharing your process and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love "A Donsy...".
    Pebble is our personal favorite.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I told the story of Brother Acorn at my preschool a few weeks ago. I love how you captured the sky changing colors from early morning into daytime.

    I chose to sing the part of "Red squirrel, red squirrel, have you got a nut for me..." ...using the music in the book and am wondering if you did this as well. It really helps to keep the rhythm of the story and could serve as an appropriate prompt to help you remember the story.

    You are doing beautiful things with your children!

    blessings on your work and play. xx,kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow this is just so beautiful. I really love it and feel inspired to try this myself. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet your kids are absolutely enthralled and your sets are beautiful! Glad that you are going out of your comfort zone to help your children learn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful, your story time sounds enchanting! I love all the props you have created. I think its time I get a copy of A Donsy of Gnomes, sounds like a wonderful book- I love your chalk drawing! Thanks for sharing this! ~April

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you are doing a great job! This looks very enchanting. I also always struggle with coming up with my own stories, it is like I have a mental block, so I am totally with you! Little steps are good, I think if we get used to telling stories by heart it will help to unlock the imagination too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got the chills reading this, I am the same love to be entertained but never the entertainer... You have given me the courage to try something new. Thank you.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much everyone for all the sweet comments! Julie, lol! I know what you mean!

    And Kristin, I did sing those parts- those were helpful for remembering and also provide a beautiful anchor that kept them interested. Owen especially loved the sung parts.

    For those of you said you were inspired to try storytelling, I'm so happy to hear it! I'd love to hear back from you on your efforts.

    Warmly,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of removing each layer of silk as the sky changes. So beautiful. And I love your little opening verse as well. Very simple. I think I just might have to get myself this book too. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my sweet little part of the world! Please come by often and leave a comment! I love to get your feedback and know that my friends and family have visited!