Thursday, September 15, 2011

Two Weeks of School...


 
Our homeschooling has been so much fun.  So far things are really working well and we're enjoying the comfort of our school rhythm.   Owen loves circle time and usually plays or draws while Michael and I are doing main lesson work.  I have noticed that our morning walk just doesn't fit in where I had planned.  If I don't get to lessons immediately after breakfast Owen is cranky right at main lesson time, which really doesn't work.  So I have to find another time for our walk.  Maybe after lessons or lunch.  We'll see how it works out.  I want to be consistent with our walks.  I find them so inspiring, not only to get out and get moving but also to notice nature and for a spiritual uplift as well.  Michael and I have a game we love to play.  We say "Thank you God for the beautiful..." and we take turns filling in the blank.  After a few minutes of this we're so uplifted and grateful for our neighborhood, each other and nature. It's a much needed part of our day.


Last week I didn't have my camera to take pictures so I'm sharing some now.  The first day I had the "Welcome Michael!" sign and this chalkboard drawing to greet him.  Wise Sophia refers to our first grade container story.  I wrote more about that here


Our circle time is my favorite part of the day.  I love it because I can see what the boys are learning and it's fun! It's fun to see Owen,  he gets so excited and he really loves the verses and has learned them so well.  It's adorable to hear him singing them throughout the day. 

Here are some of our favorites in our Autumn Circle time.  We've made up tunes for the first two, and signs for the second and third.

Red in Autumn  (From Festivals, Food & Family)
by Elizabeth Gould

Tipperty-toes, the smallest elf,
Sat on a musshroom by himself,
Playing a little tinking tune
Under the big red harvest moon;
And this is the song that Tipperty made
To sing to the little tune he played.

"Red are the hips, red are the haws,
Red and gold are the leaves that fall
Red are the poppies in the corn,
Red beries on the rowan tall;
Red is the big red harvest moon,
And red are my new little dancing shoon"?

The Harvest
by Alice C. Henderson

The silver rain, the shining sun,
The fields where scarlet poppies run 
and all the ripples of the wheat 
are in the bread that I do eat.

So when I sit for every meal 
and say a grace I always feel
that I am eating rain and sun, 
and fields where scarlet poppies run. 

Owen especially loves this one.

Saint George and the Dragon (sung to I'm a little tea pot) 
(I think I found this in our earthschooling curriculum)

I'm a little Dragon
Strong and Stout
Here is my tail and here is my snout
If I get the sneezes you better watch out!
Ah-choo!  Ah-choo!  You'll see the fire sneeze out!

Hoping you're having fun at school as well.  I've enjoyed reading all of the back to home school posts out there as well as seeing all the cute first day of school pictures too.  This is such a precious time for our little ones.

Until next time...

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful chalk drawing, love the fall colors. "Thank You God for the beautiful..." sounds like a very inspiring thing to do- I love remembering to have gratitude- always improves my mood. Love the poems, I will have to pull out my copy of Festivals, Food & Family and read through again. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks as though you are off to a warm and wonderful school year.

    are you able to join other families to celebrate Michaelmas in a festival of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks April and Kristen! There are a few Waldorf families a couple of hours away. Hoping to connect with some gals that have started a Waldorf study group here. Interest in Waldorf, is just beginning here. And my friends aren't interested. (sigh)

    Someday I hope to live in an area with a thriving Waldorf community.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my sweet little part of the world! Please come by often and leave a comment! I love to get your feedback and know that my friends and family have visited!